Contest winner designs and cuts working guitar capo.
Tolland, CT – CNC Software, developer of Mastercam CAD/CAM software, has announced the winner of its 2010-2011 IOF (Innovator of the Future) competition: Scott Harrel, a student in the Computer Integrated Machining Technology program at Rowan Cabarrus Community College (Salisbury, NC).
Mastercam’s Innovator of the Future competition helps introduce students to real-world manufacturing by challenging them to put their own creative twist on a specific part to be judged by a special guest from the manufacturing industry. In the 2010-2011 competition, students designed and machined a working guitar capo. Prizes were a major motivation for students with the winner receiving a $1,000 scholarship and a trip to Tolland, CT to tour CNC Software, Inc.’s world headquarters.
It was clear the winner put his best efforts into his entry, displaying exceptional aesthetic and mechanical creativity. In the documentation accompanying the entry, Scott explained how the competition helped them to improve his Mastercam and machining skills. The IOF competition definitely pushed Scott to go beyond his comfort level; he researched capos and worked with numerous designs before coming up with a shape and movement that didn’t use a spring. Although a capo made of brass is a little heavy, Scott chose that material because of the look of the polished brass with the engraved scroll work.
When asked his opinion about the IOF competition, Scott enthusiastically replied, “The trip was pure joy and I hope to make it up there again one day. The trip is all I have been able to talk about. I like to think that inside the academic community, we do some pretty neat and innovative stuff, but seeing what people in industry are doing really inspired us to raise the bar with innovation on the designs of future projects. “
While the $1,000 scholarship will undoubtedly help to defray educational expenses, Scott really enjoyed his trip to tour CNC Software Inc. Scott and his instructor, Jason Hill, got to meet Mark Summers, President of CNC Software, Inc., and he also met Jim Quinn, Orange County Choppers’ Lead Engineer and Machinist, who was visiting CNC Software for their open house.
- Tire maker Michelin develops FEA post-processing tools using MeshViz XLM and Open Inventor® by VSG
- FARO and Autodesk Collaborate to Add Support for Point Cloud Data to AutoCAD 2011
- Delcam presented with sixth Queen's Award
- Spatial Announces Registration Open for 3D Insiders' Summit 2011
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- Official Thinkdesign 2011 Beta version Entering into the Build Phase - Ready for Imminent Release
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Two Indian SolidWorks resellers add Sescoi's WorkNC to their portfolio
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets