The University of Salford will be the first higher education institution to offer a master's degree in Robotics and Embedded Systems taught in both India and the UK, when it launches an MSc in Robotics and Embedded Systems in September 2011.
Salford's postgraduate course has been developed in partnership with Mumbai-based science education provider, ThinkLABS, in order to meet the demands of the Indian market which has seen a massive increased shift to the use of robotics and intelligent systems.
The degree will combine four months teaching in embedded systems - computer systems designed to do one or a few dedicated and specific functions - in Mumbai, with the remaining eight months at the University of Salford's Centre for Advanced Robotics headed up by Professor Samia Nefti Meziani who has led academically on developing this partnership.
There is significant market growth forecast in the area of robotics and embedded systems across sectors including aerospace, nuclear, automotive and petrochemicals.
A recent study by the Indian National Association of Software and Services Companies predicted the industry will triple its market size by 2015. Robotics and embedded systems are essential for creating sustainable manufacturing and autonomous systems businesses in India.
Salford Vice-Chancellor, Professor Martin Hall said: "We are very pleased to be partnering with ThinkLABS. We intend to provide excellent technical education with an appropriate blend of practical exposure.
"The course being taught at two locations and environments will help the students take in the nuances of industry developments in both countries and will be a great tool for knowledge transfer."
ThinkLABS is a pioneer in the fields of hands-on science and technology education in India, and is an incubated company of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) Bombay.
Gaurav Chaturvedi, Director Vice-President of ThinkLABS, added: "The robotics and embedded systems arena is set to witness a high growth stage. Currently, the embedded space is witnessing a gap between the skill set required and that which is available.''
"We are collaborating with the University of Salford to bring in their technical expertise - with robotics at Salford being one of the leading courses in the UK. We believe that this reputation, together with ThinkLABS' established technical expertise in the field of embedded systems, can lead to an instrumental part of the growth story of this industry."
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers
- Gstarsoft Highlights New Dynamic Block Editor in GstarCAD 2012