Renowned inventor/FIRST founder Dean Kamen and The Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am team up for “i.am.FIRST- Science is Rock and Roll,” a groundbreaking science and technology entertainment celebration that highlights the 20th annual FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Championship
WHEN: Sunday, August 14, 2011
7:00-8:00 p.m. ET/6:00 – 7:00 p.m. CT
ABC Television Network
WHO: The star-studded special features live performances by The Black Eyed Peas and Willow Smith, along with celebrities including Justin Bieber, Steven Tyler, Bono, Jack Black, Miley Cyrus and Josh Duhamel speaking out in support of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education. Student teams are profiled as their robots compete to win coveted FIRST Championship awards.
WHY: The back-to-school special was created and shot during the FIRST Championship 2011 including 30,000 students, fans, families, educators, and industry leaders who came together in St. Louis, Mo., to celebrate the engineering prowess of talented students from around the world. More than 600 teams from 29 countries competed in the three levels of FIRST: FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®, grades 4 to 8, nine to 14-year-olds in the U.S. and Canada; nine to 16-year-olds outside the U.S. and Canada); FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®, grades 9 to 12, 14 to 18-year-olds); and FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®, grades 9 to 12, ages 14-18). i.am.FIRST- Science is Rock and Roll documents the country’s best and brightest students in the FIRST Regional Competitions leading up to the international FIRST Championship.
Dean Kamen founded FIRST® in 1989 to inspire an appreciation of science and technology in young people. FIRST designs accessible, innovative programs to build self-confidence, knowledge and life skills while motivating young people to pursue STEM. To learn more about FIRST, go to www.usfirst.org.
will.i.am is best known as the frontman and producer of the multi-platinum award-winning group, The Black Eyed Peas. As a musician, producer, and director, will.i.am is an enthusiastic user of technologies.
- Tire maker Michelin develops FEA post-processing tools using MeshViz XLM and Open Inventor® by VSG
- FARO and Autodesk Collaborate to Add Support for Point Cloud Data to AutoCAD 2011
- Delcam presented with sixth Queen's Award
- Spatial Announces Registration Open for 3D Insiders' Summit 2011
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- Official Thinkdesign 2011 Beta version Entering into the Build Phase - Ready for Imminent Release
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets
- Two Indian SolidWorks resellers add Sescoi's WorkNC to their portfolio