Full-size Folding Stool Made of new Objet ABS-like Digital Material is Printed in a Single Print Job on the Objet Connex Multi-material 3D Printer.
Objet Ltd made news today by demonstrating a full-size folding stool able to support over 100 kg. Like the Objet 3D-printed skateboard (video), Objet engineers printed the stool in a single print job, using the new Objet ABS-like Digital Material (RGD5160-DM) - a new functionally advanced material which is jetted as a composite material on the Objet Connex multi-material 3D printer (video).
The folding stool, which sits 48 cm (19 inches) off the ground, has similar high dimensional stability, thermal resistance, and toughness as ABS-grade engineering plastics, enabling it to repeatedly sustain the weight of a person.
Commenting on the folding stool, Gilad Gans, Executive Vice President at Objet, said, "The folding stool is a demonstration of the unique possibilities available using Objet's multi-material 3D printers including the new Objet260 Connex. Our technology represents the most effective way of functionally testing complex design ideas. Whether skateboards or folding stools, the prototypes that come out of Objet Connex 3D printers look like the real thing and also perform like the real thing. Not only can this stool carry the weight of a person, but it was actually printed in the fold-up position in a single print job and then opened-up upon removal from the printer to be used."
The Objet ABS-like Digital Material is a high-impact material (65-80J/m or 1.22-1.50 ft lb/in), with high-temperature-resistance (65°C or 149°F and after thermal post treatment 90°C or 194°F). The material is ideal for manufacturers and engineers looking to functionally simulate products made of ABS-grade engineering plastics, including snap-fit parts, durable and movable parts and products requiring drop-testing.
With the new ABS-like Digital Material, the number of Objet 3D printing materials is brought to a total of 65, including 51 composite materials (Digital Materials), for a wide range of rapid prototyping purposes, enabling realistic product visualization to advanced functional verification.
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers
- TurboViewer Pro Turns v2.0
- Gstarsoft Highlights New Dynamic Block Editor in GstarCAD 2012