Virtualizes 250 desktops using Virtualization Experience Infrastructure (VXI); Company to adopt cloud infrastructure to drive higher business productivity.
Mumbai — Geometric Limited today announced a large scale desktop virtualization implementation based on the Virtualization Experience Infrastructure (VXI) architecture with Cisco, NetApp and Citrix technologies. VXI is a service-optimized desktop virtualization platform that can deliver any application to any device in any workplace environment, support a rich user experience, and provide IT with additional security and control.
The deployment will allow Geometric employees to access their server-hosted virtual desktop from anywhere and from a broad range of devices, with the cloud infrastructure also helping to drive business productivity and reduced operating costs.
“We evaluated several solutions before we chose to adopt the VXI architecture from Cisco, NetApp, and Citrix to solve our virtualization needs. This solution allows our employees to work from anywhere, at any time, using any device of their choice, without affecting security or performance; thereby providing flexibility to our employees and enabling continuous support for our customers. Moreover, it also reduces the time and effort needed for provisioning and maintenance of computing resources,” said Prashanta Ghoshal, Director, IT Solutions and Services, Geometric.
* Based on NetApp unified storage, Cisco Unified Computing System, and Citrix XenDesktop the VXI architecture offers templates for easy deployment, a starter kit for the first 300 desktops, and plug-and-play expansion packs to scale to tens of thousands of additional users.
* A cost reduction of Rs. 1.2 million (approx. USD 27000) is anticipated with the deployment of 600 desktops. Geometric has already achieved significant benefits by an initial deployment of 250 desktops, which will further improve with scale.
* By adopting the VXI solution the company has been able to centralize desktop management and as a result not only reduce the security threat but also reduce the time spent on management (for tasks like installation restoration of OS and other applications).
* Cost efficiencies are expected to increase further by enabling longer desktop refresh cycles, resulting in greater opportunity to enable highly secure remote working, telecommuting and use of consumer computing devices.
* Geometric is looking to provide end users access to their Virtual Desktops from their own devices or from their homes in the future, and is working towards deploying a Virtual desktop solution for 3D Graphics applications.
"We are witnessing a rapid adoption of virtualization technologies across customers of all segments. The solution we have developed with Cisco and Citrix incorporates software, hardware and support into a unified offering that makes desktop virtualization easy to deploy, easy to support and easy to scale. NetApp solutions and virtualized storage technologies help customers maximize efficiency to change the economics of IT and flexibility to respond at the speed of business,” said Rajesh Janey, President – NetApp India & SAARC.
“VXI expands the scope and offers a new, network-based approach to virtualization, which provides Geometric employees with greater choice and flexibility based on specific application needs and business requirements. The unique design spans Cisco's Data Center, Borderless Networks and Collaboration architectures enabling customers to deliver timely deployment of the latest services, applications and endpoint devices and a consistently productive user experience, with increased security and efficiency," said Rajesh Rege, Sr. Vice President- Data Center, Cisco India & SAARC.
"We believe Virtualization and cloud computing will offer Geometric a powerful set of tools to enhance agility and availability. It will bring in the much required efficiency and will deliver IT infrastructure, desktops and applications as a service. As a key player in the virtualization space we think that this collaboration will bring in fundamental changes in Geometric business productivity," said Sanjay Deshmukh, Area Vice President, India, Citrix Systems Inc.
Jul 27, 2011
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers
- Gstarsoft Highlights New Dynamic Block Editor in GstarCAD 2012
- New Report Places Bentley's OpenPlant Products at the Forefront of Interoperability and Plant Creation