Eminent German research institute gives FiberSIM composites engineering software nod over competition in robustness, accuracy, and flexibility.
VISTAGY, Inc., a leading provider of industry-specific engineering software and services, today announced that DLR (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt), the German Aerospace Center, conducted a study that deemed its FiberSIM® composites engineering software superior to all other tested draping simulation software when fiber simulation, design functionality, and interfaces are collectively considered. DLR performed the evaluation by designing and manufacturing four composite parts, including a double curved aircraft stringer, a complex automotive B pillar, and two generic chicanery parts. Register to download the study in English.
The study was done as part of the TOP-Design (Tolerance Optimized-Design) Program, funded by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as part of the LuFo IV Program. One objective of TOP-Design is to examine the capabilities of various software products for simulating carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) manufacturing processes and understand how to use these tools to get the most accurate flat patterns and, thus, the highest quality, lightest weight parts.
“FiberSIM is very robust software,” said Tobias Stroehlein, DLR’s program architect for fuselage technologies. “We were able to do anything we wanted with it without crashing the CAD system. With FiberSIM, we were able to look at many ways to approach different strategies; it provided thousands of options for trying out different simulation types and geometries. We thought the multi-stage layup approach looked especially promising.”
In addition to having the highest combined score of any of the products in the three categories, FiberSIM was significantly the best in simulation algorithm and design functionality, was considered the most robust tool, and tied another program for the top score in precision.
“The results are very gratifying, especially considering it came from DLR, a highly respected and impartial organization,” said John O’Connor, director of product and market strategy for VISTAGY. “I think our industry expertise—which spans nearly 20 years—is reflected in FiberSIM’s capabilities and is why our software is the industry leader for designing and manufacturing composites in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and wind energy.”
Jun 7, 2011
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers
- Gstarsoft Highlights New Dynamic Block Editor in GstarCAD 2012