NEW YORK - Turner Construction Company has announced the deployment of SketchUp Pro™, Google's premium 3-Dimensional model authoring tool and platform. Turner is using SketchUp Pro™ as a part of its standard "digital toolbox" to provide Building Information Modeling (BIM) related services on projects across the United States and around the world.
Turner utilizes SketchUp Pro™ as a 3-D modeling tool due to its user-friendly interface and ability to rapidly produce lightweight geometries. SketchUp is also able to easily scale up and down based on needs: for conceptual "what if" scenario cost estimating analyses, building systems constructability studies, or whole building and site models for sequencing and schedule analysis and work-in-place monitoring during construction.
James P. Barrett, National Director of Integrated Building Solutions at Turner Construction Company, describes the company's approach this way: "Turner has adopted a 'software agnostic' philosophy in the execution of our BIM-related activities so that we are not constrained by tradition or precedence within an industry that is rapidly changing. Instead, we bring a practicality and open mindedness to finding the best digital tool suited to the task at hand. The deployment of SketchUp Pro™ is emblematic of this approach, and we envision its use at all levels of the company from managers to field superintendents."
As an example, Turner staff working at the World Trade Center site in New York City, use SketchUp's efficient, flexible, even customizable modeling tools to enable the on-site BIM team to provide daily rapid 3D studies for project stakeholders. "Turner's SketchUp models provide information during the decision making process and support the overall management and control of the construction activities at the site," said Ben Ferrer, BIM Engineer for Turner Construction Company.
"Google SketchUp is pleased to work more closely with Turner," said Christopher Cronin of Google SketchUp. "We've been impressed with the many uses and new directions they've found for the additional features and functions of SketchUp Pro™. As a leader in the AEC industry we're excited to work with Turner to build on our shared vision of the 'democratization of information' through the wide-spread deployment of SketchUp Pro™."
May 23, 2011
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's ArtCAM speeds ice bar production
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- InventorCAM 2012 makes its debut, reducing cycle times by up to 70% for Autodesk customers, with iMachining
- Rapiscan Uses Autodesk Vault to Effectively Collaborate on Security Products
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- SigmaNEST Delivers Results to Tampa Bay Steel
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- GE Scientists Decorate the Christmas Tree With 3-D Printed Ornaments