Formtek, Inc., a leading provider of technical data and document management solutions to industrial clients for over two decades, announced today significant enhancements to its Engineering Data Management (EDM) solution for Alfresco. The Formtek EDM solution now includes a new Formtek EDM Connector for AutoCAD.
The Formtek EDM Connector for AutoCAD works in conjunction with the Formtek EDM Module for Alfresco, and allows users to interact with the Alfresco content repository – including browse, open, check-in, check-out, and view/edit metadata functionality – directly from within the AutoCAD application. Together, these products provides a pre-packaged, installation-ready, minimal services solution for secure, enterprise engineering document and drawing management and collaboration on the Alfresco Open Content Platform.
The Formtek EDM Module defines a data content model specific to the needs of engineers for the management of drawings and documents. Within Alfresco Share, the Formtek EDM Module provides View, Edit and Advanced Search forms that enable engineering metadata to be displayed, edited and efficiently searched. It also supports the DWG, DXF and DWF file formats from AutoCAD, automatically generating thumbnail and flash (SWF) renditions of these AutoCAD formats for display and use within the Share Document Library. In addition, PDF renditions of AutoCAD files can be generated on-demand, and are then stored in the repository.
The Formtek EDM Connector also maintains the integrity of AutoCAD referenced drawings (XREFs), as well as other types of referenced files (DGN, PDF, raster, etc.), by automatically associating them to the current drawing within the Alfresco repository. When a drawing is checked-in or checked-out from AutoCAD, the EDM Connector presents the user with a list of all associated files, which the users can then select for check-in or check-out in association with the current drawing.
"Formtek has a long and very successful history of providing mission-critical content repository solutions to some of the most demanding engineering and manufacturing organizations in the world", said Dennis M. Scanlon, Formtek’s President and COO. "With Formtek’s EDM solution for Alfresco, we are leveraging the Company’s extensive domain expertise in technical environments to provide the global industrial market segment with a low cost, state-of the-art, open source alternative for managing complex engineering information."
Formtek will conduct an online webinar of the new Formtek EDM Connector for AutoCAD, in conjunction with Alfresco, on Wednesday June 8 at 11 am EDT. To register, please visit http://www.alfresco.com/about/events/2011/06/formtek-edm-connector-for-autocad/.
May 24, 2011
- Tire maker Michelin develops FEA post-processing tools using MeshViz XLM and Open Inventor® by VSG
- FARO and Autodesk Collaborate to Add Support for Point Cloud Data to AutoCAD 2011
- Delcam presented with sixth Queen's Award
- Spatial Announces Registration Open for 3D Insiders' Summit 2011
- Official Thinkdesign 2011 Beta version Entering into the Build Phase - Ready for Imminent Release
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Two Indian SolidWorks resellers add Sescoi's WorkNC to their portfolio
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets