Print giant manroland needed to migrate 100,000 active 3D models and 60,000 engineering drawings into a new CAD system. Without Proficiency, ITI TranscenData’s feature-based translation tool, the migration would not have been possible.
Until recently, manroland’s core design system was CATIA V4. With V4 nearing the end of its shelf life, however, and with no clear upgrade path that would preserve the integrity of the manroland design archive, manroland looked elsewhere for a new CAD solution. They were satisfied that Siemens NX 5 offered the capabilities they needed, but a wholesale change of CAD system obviously meant finding a migration path that would yield accurate and editable NX versions of the active V4 data.
“It wasn’t just a case of migrating the data,” says Marc Gottmann, CAD Engineer at manroland. “We wanted to maintain the associative link between 3D models and engineering drawings, and also the ‘intelligence’ of the 3D features the models were made up of. We wanted useful, modifiable data. And we knew we couldn’t do this via a STEP-based translation, for instance. So we looked on the market and found several systems that offered migration in one form or another,” he adds. “But only Proficiency could also migrate associative 2D drawings, including intelligent dimensions, text and so on. It seemed like a good fit.”
Proficiency from ITI TranscenData is a feature-based translation solution that enables the transfer of complete design intelligence between major CAD systems. Geometry, features, sketches, manufacturing information, metadata, assembly relationships and drawings are all preserved in the conversion process. Proficency’s automated process yields accurate and usable models at a typical success rate of up to 95 percent. Any inconsistencies can be addressed using Proficiency’s CAD-embedded Completion Wizards.
Read the entire case study to learn more....
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers