Mumbai: General Motors India organized an automotive design contest, "Design the next Chevrolet Contest" for young and aspiring engineering and design students from across the country. This contest was aimed to encourage young students to opt for the automobile design as a career and to offer the Indian automobile manufacturers with the talented Indian designers.
Speaking on the initiative, Mr. Karl Slym, President & Managing Director, GM India said, “We at GM India, always believe styling and designing of vehicles to be an integral part of whole manufacturing process, and have always recognized and encouraged the designers who are helping to develop India as a destination for automotive styling and designing. The design contest offered a platform to the young students who aspire to make it big the in the field of automotive designing which eventually will benefit the automotive industry in the long term.”
The winners of the contest were felicitated at a function held in Mumbai. John Paul Xavier from Industrial Design Centre at IIT Mumbai who was declared as the winner was awarded with a brand new Chevrolet Beat. Sachin Panchal from DSK International School of Design in Pune was declared the first runner-up of the contest. Students from various engineering colleges and institutes across the country participated in the contest. Around 1000 entries were received and 40 were shortlisted.
The objective of this contest was to design a car that would appeal to Indian tastes, preferences and requirements. Designs were shortlisted by a panel of judges on the following parameters:
• Aesthetics and visual appeal
• Developmental potential
• Overall presentation
The contest also kept in mind Indian driving conditions, the environment and safety. The jury members consisted of Karl Slym, President & Managing Director, GM India, Hormazd Sorabjee, Editor-in-Chief, Autocar, Anil Saini, Director, GM India Design, Global Network Teams & Sumit Sawhney, Vice-President, Sales, Marketing & After-Sales, GM India.
In the next couple of months, Chevrolet will complete 100 years of its successful operations globally. With a wide array of products and services, Chevrolet has brought unmatched product quality and unparalleled performance to the customers around the world. Inspirational designs, superior technology and innovative programs have made Chevrolet one of the most-loved and sought after brand worldwide. Continuing its journey, Chevrolet plans to launch several new products and services for the global audience, relevant to the respective markets and customer preferences.
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- InventorCAM 2012 makes its debut, reducing cycle times by up to 70% for Autodesk customers, with iMachining
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's ArtCAM speeds ice bar production
- GE Scientists Decorate the Christmas Tree With 3-D Printed Ornaments
- Rapiscan Uses Autodesk Vault to Effectively Collaborate on Security Products
- SigmaNEST Delivers Results to Tampa Bay Steel