CD-adapco announced today the formation of a new Internal Combustion Engine Team, to be led by Dr. Richard Johns, a globally recognized expert in bringing advanced automotive engine CFD to industry for over 35 years.
In his new role as Vice President of the Internal Combustion Engine Team, Dr. Richard Johns will be in overall control of all aspects of CD-adapco’s engine simulation technology, including STAR-CD v4 solver development, pre and post processing development, ICE related technical support, testing and project management.
Dr. Richard Johns, CD-adapcoDr. Johns joined Perkins Engines in 1969 as a student and, after graduating in 1973 with a degree in mechanical engineering, joined their research department. After 2 years of developing cycle simulation and thermal analysis software, Perkins supported his PhD study at Imperial College under Prof. David Gosman in engine CFD. During his 5 years at Imperial College he developed computational methods for the flow in diesel engine cylinders and the first discrete droplet spray model applied to in-cylinder flows. He was awarded his PhD in 1980 for this work. He subsequently joined AVL in Graz, Austria where he established the CFD software group and was also responsible for the laser diagnostics used for validation of the computations. In 1987 he joined Ricardo where, again, he established a CFD software group and was subsequently responsible for both the commercial software business and engineering CAE applications. He was appointed President of Ricardo Software in 1995 and, in 1998, to the Board of Ricardo Consulting Engineers Ltd. He joined CD-adapco in 2005 as Director for the Automotive Industry, a position that he will now relinquish for his new role.
“Whether it's a new fuel, new combustion model or a new lightweight material, realistic simulation is an integral tool in successfully bringing new technologies to market,” said Dr. Richard Johns. “CD-adapco is the long-time leading provider of CFD technology to the automotive industry, with over two decades of intake-to-tailpipe industrial know-how. In this new role, I am excited to be able to play a pivotal role in extending CD-adapco’s lead in this market, and I am fully dedicated to helping our customers to meet all of the challenges that ICE simulation has to offer.”
- Surfware Appoints David Holding Company as New VAR in Bulgaria & Romania
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Panso Solutions of India Joins the Aras Partner Program
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- Rapiscan Uses Autodesk Vault to Effectively Collaborate on Security Products
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's ArtCAM speeds ice bar production
- InventorCAM 2012 makes its debut, reducing cycle times by up to 70% for Autodesk customers, with iMachining
- SigmaNEST Delivers Results to Tampa Bay Steel