Acquisition Expands Autodesk’s Reach in Console, Casual and Mobile Games Market.
SAN RAFAEL, Calif - Autodesk, Inc has acquired Scaleform Corporation, a privately held middleware and user interface (UI) tools company, for approximately $36 million in cash. Autodesk announced its intent to acquire Scaleform on February 15, 2011. Scaleform's technology has aided in the development of more than 800 games for a variety of hardware platforms, including Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3 (PS3).
Autodesk has been a leading provider of 3D content creation tools to the games industry for over two decades. Recently Autodesk began expanding its games portfolio through the addition of middleware and other games technologies in response to a growing industry need for more efficient, integrated solutions for game content creation.
Scaleform’s flagship product, Scaleform GFx, allows development teams to quickly and easily implement game UIs and other content using the popular design tool Adobe Flash. It also comprises tools and middleware designed to help developers take full advantage of the 3D hardware acceleration capabilities of most popular game devices. Scaleform GFx is typically used to create game menu UIs, in-game heads up displays (HUD’s), animated textures, and mini games, and even full casual and mobile games.
This transaction is expected to have no impact on guidance issued on February 24, 2011.
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Rapiscan Uses Autodesk Vault to Effectively Collaborate on Security Products
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's ArtCAM speeds ice bar production
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- SigmaNEST Delivers Results to Tampa Bay Steel
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- InventorCAM 2012 makes its debut, reducing cycle times by up to 70% for Autodesk customers, with iMachining
- GE Scientists Decorate the Christmas Tree With 3-D Printed Ornaments
- Panso Solutions of India Joins the Aras Partner Program