More Than 400,000 DraftSight Downloads During Beta Test.
VÉLIZY-VILLACOUBLAY, France – Dassault Systèmes today announced the general availability of DraftSight for Windows, a no-cost 2D CAD product for CAD professionals, students and educators. To date, more than 400,000 users have downloaded DraftSight. Originally launched in Beta version in June 2010, the general release for Windows includes many key enhancements and updates based on user feedback. DraftSight is available for download at http://www.draftsight.com.
DraftSight allows users to create, edit and view DWG files. DraftSight generally takes just a few minutes to download and runs on multiple operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS (in beta). In conjunction with DraftSight, Dassault Systèmes launched an open, online community, where users can access support and training resources, along with an environment to interact, ask questions and share their opinions. The DraftSight community is one of the first social networks designed by engineers for engineers, designers and architects. Based on user feedback generated within the community, enhancements and updates have been made to the general release of DraftSight for Windows.
The DraftSight community is based on Dassault Systèmes’ SwYm online collaboration and social innovation platform. SwYm communities incorporate the best of Web 2.0 features such as: rich profiles, blogs, micro-blogging, “iQuestions”, wikis, media sharing spaces (data, audio, video, and even 3D), status updates, and more all within a unified layout that optimizes the user experience and facilitates and accelerates collaboration.
“DraftSight has been overwhelmingly embraced by the CAD and engineering community since its launch in June 2010. A lot of hard work has gone into this product, including many enhancements made during the beta phase,” said Aaron Kelly, senior director, DraftSight, Dassault Systèmes. “Users provided great feedback that enabled us to identify areas of improvement that we have implemented into the general release for Windows, increasing the overall performance and usability of DraftSight. It’s important for our users to remain vocal about what they want to see in the product as we continue the development of DraftSight.”
Specific updates include, but are not limited to:
• API support (available for a fee) – Enables customers to write add-on programs for DraftSight in C++ and other supported programming languages
• Localization of Help Files – Now available for users in multiple languages (English, German, French, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Turkish, Korean, Polish, Russian, Czech)
• Command Variables Enhancement – Enables users to set and change system variables directly from the command line
DraftSight users have a variety of support options to choose from, including no-cost Community Support, as well as fee-based Premium Services that offer telephone and email support, network licensing and access to DraftSight APIs. Specifically designed for educators, the Education Premium Service includes a Classroom and Campus Pack with curriculum materials, network licensing and telephone and email support.
“As an instructor, I always try to provide my students with the tools to create and succeed on their own,” said Thomas Mewerter, drafting instructor at South Central Louisiana Technical College. “DraftSight’s compatible structure and ability to work with DWG files gives students the freedom to download the product for free and work outside of class.”
Feb 24, 2011
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers
- TurboViewer Pro Turns v2.0
- Gstarsoft Highlights New Dynamic Block Editor in GstarCAD 2012