Sescoi and Japanese cutting tool maker, OSG Corporation, welcomed engineers and WorkNC users to two “WorkNC Lab 3” seminars which were held at the recent JIMTOF exhibition in Tokyo. Working in collaboration with DMG/Mori Seiki, MST Corporation and Hitachi Metals, this was the third in a series of Sescoi seminars. This latest free seminar, focusing on the advantages of 5 axis simultaneous machining for complex mold and die manufacture, drew a large audience.
The machining and CNC programming of five complex molds were examined in detail, comparing 3 axis machining with 5 axis machining technology. Starting with 5 axis programming in its WorkNC CADCAM software, Sescoi showed how the software can take 3 axis toolpaths and automatically change them into safe 5 axis paths. Sescoi also demonstrated how the collision avoidance built into WorkNC and tailored to the kinematics of individual machines enables safe 5 axis toolpaths to be completed very simply.
Machining for the five test parts was carried out on a DMU 40 monoBLOCK 5 axis machining center using identical tooling. This enabled direct comparisons to be made between the actual machining times, the cost of tools, tool life, and the quality of the finished surface for 3 axis and 5 axis machining. Mori Seiki elaborated on the 5 axis technology in its machines and described how to achieve the best results with the DMU 40 monoBLOCK.
Sescoi provided comparisons for the calculation times and the programming times for WorkNC, demonstrating that 5 axis programming need not be complex and can produce more of the part in one operation, bringing it well within the capabilities of Japanese toolmakers, enabling them to cut costs through greater efficiency.
Dec 6, 2010
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- Delcam launches DentSCAN dental scanner
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Registration Opens for 2012 AVEVA World UK User Meeting
- EDS Technologies Signs MoU With Mar Baselios College Of Engineering
- Delcam's new web site for PartMaker CAM system for production machining
- Aras Expands Global Headquarters for Growth and Announces Several New Job Openings
- LMS to release LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim Rev11
- Autodesk announces an open distribution network in India
- Transformer and AC Line Reactor FEA Design Software Delivers Radical New R&D Productivity for Electrical Manufacturers