New product generates IEC 61131 structured text for industrial control systems.
Bangalore – The MathWorks today announced Simulink PLC Coder, a new product that generates IEC 61131 structured text for programmable logic controller (PLC) and programmable automation controller (PAC) devices. This advancement enables Model-Based Design for manufacturing and power generation equipment controlled by PLCs and PACs.
With Simulink PLC Coder, engineers can automatically generate code for industrial control systems, including closed-loop and supervisory control applications. Automatic code generation, an integral part of Model-Based Design, helps eliminate errors associated with traditional hand coding and reduces overall development and validation time.
“Industrial automation is a competitive field as companies continuously seek ways to innovate and develop more complex mechatronic industrial systems,” said Tony Lennon, industrial automation and machinery industry manager at The MathWorks. “Our customers recognize that Model-Based Design with automatic code generation is the best way to design and validate these complex systems that span electrical, mechanical and control system domains. This approach enables them to succeed.”
Simulink PLC Coder generates source code in structured text format from Simulink models, Stateflow charts, and Embedded MATLAB code, and then uses an integrated development environment (IDE) from an industrial automation vendor to compile the code and run it on a PLC or PAC commonly used to control machinery.
To help users integrate Model-Based Design with their industrial equipment development efforts, The MathWorks is working closely with leading industrial automation vendors, including Rockwell Automation and B&R.
“By collaborating with The MathWorks, our customers gain the ability to use Model-Based Design for developing PAC applications enhancing machine performance," said Jason Weber, strategic alliance manager at Rockwell Automation. "Model-Based Design aligns closely with our Virtual Design and Production strategy which allows customers to speed time to market, reduce engineering costs and further validate machines before production."
“Model-Based Design opens a new development approach for customers validating the integration of electromechanical and control systems for industrial equipment,” states Philipp Wallner, Mechatronics Technologies lead developer at B&R Industrial Automation. “Automatic code generation speeds up testing and deployment to the final system. Simulink PLC Coder complements B&R Automation Studio Target for Simulink, letting our customers chose between generating structured text and C-code, depending on the needs of their application.”
- Tire maker Michelin develops FEA post-processing tools using MeshViz XLM and Open Inventor® by VSG
- FARO and Autodesk Collaborate to Add Support for Point Cloud Data to AutoCAD 2011
- Delcam presented with sixth Queen's Award
- Spatial Announces Registration Open for 3D Insiders' Summit 2011
- Official Thinkdesign 2011 Beta version Entering into the Build Phase - Ready for Imminent Release
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets
- Two Indian SolidWorks resellers add Sescoi's WorkNC to their portfolio