HUNTSVILLE, Ala – Kyushu University, one of Japan’s top maritime and naval architecture academic centers, has selected Intergraph® SmartMarine® 3D design and engineering software for use in its Department of Marine Systems Engineering to teach students shipbuilding design and operation training. The curriculum will also integrate Lloyd’s Register rules calculation software solutions to provide the analysis and evaluation of ship structure strength against classification rules.
Kyushu University will change its existing manual drafting education program to a new program consisting of SmartMarine 3D design and engineering software. Students will be able to create ship structure models and export these data to Lloyd’s Register’s RulesCalc software for structural assessment during the initial design process. Together these solutions help improve efficiency, integrating ship design and assessment with classification knowledge and experience. They also will offer better opportunities for students to use their skills upon graduation, many of whom will join major Japanese shipyards. Kyushu University is the first higher education institution in Japan to use SmartMarine 3D in its curriculum.
SmartMarine 3D is a key component of Intergraph’s multidiscipline SmartMarine Enterprise portfolio which provides all the capabilities needed to design and build offshore devices or ships from design to fabrication to operations and maintenance – all in a single, integrated environment. It is a data-centric, rule-driven solution for streamlining design processes while preserving existing data and making it more useable/re-useable over the operation, maintenance and modification life cycle of the device.
“Kyushu University prides itself on its ability to prepare students for industry and innovation, providing them the best educational tools and personnel available,” said Dr. Akiji Shinkai, professor of Engineering at Kyushu University. “Intergraph’s SmartMarine 3D, the next-generation of shipbuilding design, integrated with Lloyd’s Register’s RulesCalc software will certainly continue this tradition of excellence for our naval architecture and marine systems engineering students.”
Gerhard Sallinger, Intergraph Process, Power and Marine president, said, “We are honored to have an institution of Kyushu University’s caliber select SmartMarine 3D. SmartMarine 3D was created by shipbuilders, and is the first new design technology introduced to this market in 20 years. Kyushu’s choice of Intergraph is another validation of our industry-leading shipbuilding design solutions position and an important step in the continued expansion of Intergraph’s marine presence in Japan.”
- Tire maker Michelin develops FEA post-processing tools using MeshViz XLM and Open Inventor® by VSG
- FARO and Autodesk Collaborate to Add Support for Point Cloud Data to AutoCAD 2011
- Delcam presented with sixth Queen's Award
- Spatial Announces Registration Open for 3D Insiders' Summit 2011
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- Official Thinkdesign 2011 Beta version Entering into the Build Phase - Ready for Imminent Release
- Materialise Innovation Forum Major Success
- COMET robot machining consortium meets at Fraunhofer
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets
- Two Indian SolidWorks resellers add Sescoi's WorkNC to their portfolio